Major steps involved in Piping Material Management are:
- Preparation of Piping Material Class
- Preparation of purchase specifications/datasheet for piping specials
- Preparation of Material take-off
- Preparation of Material Requisition
- Receipt of quotations from prospective bidders
- Technical Bid Evaluation
- Vendor document review/approval (post award)
Material Take-Off (MTO) of piping items is a detailed listing of piping components required for a given project. It includes:
- Commodity Code,
- Quantity and
- Purchase description for all the items.
The MTO is used for the purpose of
- Making Proposal,
- Material Estimation &
- Preparation of Purchase Requisitions.
Initial MTO (also called First MTO) is generated manually at the beginning of the project. Very often, 3-D model is not available or complete at that stage. Hence, we generate the MTO on the basis of P&ID and Project Specifications.
This is required as the complete modelling takes time and we need the MTO at the earliest to initiate procurement activities.
As the 3D modelling progresses, detailed MTO is generated electronically by the 3D modelling software (PDS/PDMS etc). The Piping Material Specification is generated in electronic format and is linked to the 3-D modelling software for the purpose.
Accuracy and correctness are of prime importance
Following input documents are required for working out the initial (First) MTO.
- Piping & Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID)
- Line List
- Standard/Project PMS.
- Project specification & standard drawings.
- Equipment Drawings/Data Sheet.
- Instrument Hook-up Sketches.
MANUAL MTO PREPARATION (Fig. 1):
Manual MTO is generated in following steps:
- Make a folder of all P&ID as a master copy for 1st Bulk MTO.
- All pick able items are entered in MTO format excel File, refer next sheet.
- All entries must be taken against specific line number. In case a line number is not marked on P&ID, it has to be assumed by adding suffix A, B etc. with main header line.
- Queries shall be raised for components which are not available in PMS. All such queries shall be documented & MTO shall be updated as & when queries are resolved.
- All assumptions made are documented & such items shall be marked as Hold. All assumed data is maintained in separate file & tracked. MTO shall be updated whenever confirmed data is received.
- Basis of MTO is properly issued version of P & ID or documented communication.
- Prepare Specialty Item index in proper format.
- All special items (Strainer, Steam Trap, Sample cooler, Flame arrestor, Silencer, Sight glass, Special valves) shall be tagged in P& ID.
- Items like Safety shower, hoses, coupling shall be given common tag number distinctly.
- Prepare datasheet having all Piping / Material data of special items.
- Send datasheet to process & related department for review & incorporating missing data & comments. All the missing data/information required to be filled by other disciplines shall be highlighted by material team.
- Prepare IFP datasheet, when commented & updated datasheet is received.
NON PICKABLE ITEMS:
- Pipe Length & Elbows quantity is generated by 3-D modelling.
GENERATION OF TOTAL MTO:
- Combine pick able bulk items and non-pick able items (except piping special items)
- Combined data is processed and validated against piping material specification (PMS) in GPIMS.
- Check & Rectify errors.
- Final BOM is received from successful run file.
- Piping specials are processed separately
Preparation of Material Requisition:
Material requisition for purchase includes:
- Bill of materials having commodity codes, sizes, material specification and quantity
- Additional technical requirements, inspection & test guidelines, documentation requirements and guidelines for bid submission
- Receipt of quotations from prospective bidders and Technical Bid Evaluation
- Vendor offers are invited for the material requisition
- Received offers are evaluated to ensure technical compliance to material and project specifications
- TBE report is sent to procurement department
- Purchase order is placed on technically acceptable vendor after commercial negotiations
Vendor document review/approval:
- After the purchase order is placed on a particular vendor, the vendor submits all the documents required per material requisition.
- These documents are reviewed and commented to ensure compliance to all the specifications
- After the approval of the documents, actual manufacturing of material begins.
- Inspection and testing of materials are carried out at vendor shop according to approved ITP/QAP
- Material is dispatched to site after successful inspection and quality checks.
Normally every organization has their own standard format for each of the below mentioned MTO categories:
- Piping and Piping Component MTO
- Special Item MTO
- Insulation MTO
- Paint MTO
- Total MTO