A platform is normally horizontal surface at elevated level usually provided for maintenance and easy access (operation) to required items such as valves, instruments etc. Sometimes pipes and piping items can be supported from platforms but pipe loads has to be transferred to CSA after stress analysis for taking consideration into platform design.
TYPES OF PLATFORMS (Refer Fig. 1, 2 and 3):
- OPERATING : – Used for personnel movement for operating the valves / switch panels only
- MAINTAINANCE : Used for maintenance of valves / equipments
- MANIFOLDS: number of pipes are branching in one line
INPUT FOR DESIGN
- PIPING LAYOUT: piping layout will reflect the needs of platforms.
- SIZE AND ELEVATIONS will be provided
- PIPE SUPPORT LOADING (IF ANY)
- NORMAL LIVE LOADS
- Access walkways : 250 kg/sq.m
- Operating floors : 500 kg/sq.m
- Special case(heat exchanger) : 750 kg/sq.m
APPROCH TO PLATFORMS:
For ascending and descending we are using ladders or staircase depending on use of the platforms and space availability.
Standard drawings for:
- Gratings and chequered plates as covering of platforms depends on use
- Standard drawing : Grating
PROTECTION IN PLATFORMS
- Handrails to protect the personnel from falling.
- Standard drawing : Hand rails